Legal gavel on top of divorce papers

Since typically at least 95% of cases settle rather than go to trial, most
parties will ultimately have a settlement agreement resolving all issues
in their divorce. These settlements often benefit both parties in many
ways, as it allows the divorce to end quickly, with less cost to the parties,
particularly the cost of a trial, and allows them to keep a certain amount
of control over their future. When a settlement is entered into, it will
then become part of the court’s order in the divorce, and is binding
just like the other parts of the court order. When one party decides that
the agreement is no longer to his or her liking, it will be necessary
to ask the court for a modification of the agreement.

When you are seeking modification of custody, parenting time or support
aspects of an agreement or court order, you are required to demonstrate
that a substantial change in circumstances has occurred from the time
that the order was entered. The spouse seeking to change the order has
to prove that the circumstances have changed so much that there is a sufficient
reason to modify the provision you are seeking to modify. With respect to
issues, a change in circumstances could be a sudden change in one’s
health that has affected his or her ability to work, or it could be that
one party’s income has increased dramatically. With respect to custody,
a change in circumstances due to the children’s age alone is generally
not a change in circumstances sufficient to warrant revisiting the parenting
arrangement. A partly normally needs to demonstrate specific reasons why
the child’s best interest is no longer served by the original arrangement.
These are very subjective to the particular circumstances of your case.

It is important to note that equitable distribution set forth in a settlement
agreement cannot be modified based upon a showing of changed circumstances.
This only occurs in very rare circumstances in which one party can demonstrate fraud.

After divorce, it is common for needs to change. If you are considering
modifying your divorce agreement or your former spouse has filed to change
it, you need an experienced attorney. Contact us today at (732) 479-4711
to talk about your case and your future.

Christina Previte

Christina Previte

Christina Previte, an accomplished divorce lawyer, has focused exclusively on divorce and family law since 2004. As a co-founder of Netsquire, she addresses a significant gap in the divorce industry. Christina provides couples with options for a more peaceful divorce. With degrees from Rutgers University and Rutgers Law School (Camden), including a judicial law clerk role, Christina’s experience is undeniable.

Her recognition on the Super Lawyers “Rising Star” and Super Lawyer lists reflects her commitment to transformative divorce practices. Through Netsquire, Christina streamlines divorce into three crucial steps: resolving legal matters, securing a signed settlement agreement, and navigating court filings. With a client-centric approach, Christina reshapes the divorce journey, guiding families toward smoother transitions and brighter beginnings.

LinkedIn | State Bar Association | Avvo | Google