TOP 10 FACTS ABOUT NJ DIVORCE YOU DON’T KNOW
NJ Divorce is difficult and emotionally draining. There is little good about getting a divorce except that it allows you to move on with your life and start a new chapter. We tell our clients that we cannot tell you if you should get a divorce, as that is a personal decision that is more complex than most of us will admit. When looking at moving forward, we have compiled a list of 10 facts that may help you look at NJ divorce in a new light.
- Approximately 20% of all U.S. adults have been divorced at least once in their life.
- 31% of men and 25% of women have never been married. These percentages continue to rise.
- The median age for a first marriage is 27 years old for men and 23 years old for women.
- The median age for a first divorce is 32 years old for men and 29 years old for women.
- The median age for a second marriage is 35 years old for men and 33 years old for women.
- For those who get divorced after a first marriage, the average length of the marriage is approximately eight years.
- If your parents (or you) are divorced, you (or your children) are 40 percent more likely to get divorced.
- Couples with children have a lower divorce rate than couples without children. In fact, the divorce rate for marriages with no children is 24% higher than if the marriage produces at least one child.
- In 67% of all divorces, the wife files for divorce.
- Average length of divorce proceedings: ONE YEAR.
We provide these facts to show that getting divorced is not unique. In our society, divorce is common and is not something that denotes failure. There are many reasons people get divorced. However, when thinking about divorce, these facts should also show you the negative impact of divorce on your children and how long a divorce can take.
If you are thinking about getting divorced, call us at 732-529-6937. We are here to help you determine what divorce means for you and your family. We will not tell you what you want to hear. We will tell you what you need to know.